10 powerful quotes by tennis legend Serena Williams - News24

Serena Williams.

Serena Williams.

AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth

  • 23-time grand slam champion Serena Williams announced her plans to retire from tennis.
  • Speaking to Vogue Magazine, she revealed that she felt like tennis made her sacrifice growing her family.
  • Over the years, the tennis icon and businesswoman has inspired many with her inspirational quotes about life, beauty, fashion and more.

Tennis legend Serena Williams recently announced her imminent retirement from tennis in an interview with Vogue Magazine.

She explained that the idea of retirement had always been an emotional topic for her.

"I've been reluctant to admit to myself or anyone else that I have to move on from playing tennis. Alexis, my husband, and I have hardly talked about it; it's like a taboo topic. I can't even have this conversation with my mom and dad. It's like it's not real until you say it out loud.

"It comes up, I get an uncomfortable lump in my throat, and I start to cry. The only person I've really gone there with is my therapist! ," she revealed before saying that she would rather call her next move 'evolution' instead of 'retirement'.

READ MORE | 10 ways to beat tough work challenges just like Serena Williams 

"I have never liked the word retirement. It doesn't feel like a modern word to me. I've been thinking of this as a transition, but I want to be sensitive about how I use that word, which means something very specific and important to a community of people. Maybe the best word to describe what I'm up to is evolution. I'm here to tell you that I'm evolving away from tennis, toward other things that are important to me," she explained.

Over the years, the 23-time grand slam champion has become a symbol of inspiration and success to many athletes. She has accumulated 73 career singles titles, 23 doubles titles and two mixed doubles titles, which include 39 grand slam titles - 23 singles titles, 14 doubles titles and two mixed doubles titles.

She's also a serial entrepreneur with interests in the fashion industry, as well in investing in start-up companies.

Here are 10 inspirational quotes by her:

I want to be perfect. I know perfect doesn't exist, but whatever my perfect was, I never wanted to stop until I got it right.

– Vogue, 2022.

Life is so much more than winning.

- E!, 2021

Having spiritual values means a lot to me. So that's what's most important. It's not about what you have materially, it's just what you have in your heart and your soul.

– E!, 2021

When we were younger, it was difficult for me to play Venus because she'd always beat me so badly. I had to improve just so I could stay in the game. Even now when we practice together, I have to watch out because she'll just blow me off the court.

- Oprah Mag, 2003

Since I don't look like every other girl, it takes a while to be okay with that. To be different. But different is good.

If I don't get it right, I don't stop until I do.

Catsuit anyone? For all the moms out there who had a tough recovery from pregnancy – here you go. If I can do it, so can you.

– Vogue UK

I don't like to lose - at anything… yet I've grown most not from victories, but setbacks. If winning is God's reward, then losing is how He teaches us.

I am lucky that whatever fear I have inside me, my desire to win is always stronger.

– Goalcast

The success of every woman should be the inspiration to another. We should raise each other up. Make sure you're very courageous: be strong, be extremely kind, and above all be humble.

- Goalcast

Don't miss our top stories, sign up to the TRUELOVE newsletter now! 

Adblock test (Why?)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 District 3 bowling singles tournament at a glance - Yahoo News

Many domains of single life are perceived more positively than married life - PsyPost

BLOG: Coronavirus in Estonia - Estonian World